Editor's note: this is the original project proposal, circulated in May of 2007. The current high level summary is available here.
Proposed BALLS '08 Project
- Prepare for a launch in '09 or '10 of at least 50,000 feet on
a nitrous hybrid.
- Build and launch a hybrid at BALLS '08:
- Entire project cost to be less than $3K, exclusive of the cost
of the trip to BALLS. The budget does not include tooling.
Avionics and Recovery
- Project Lead: Rik Faith
- Altitude measurement
- Recovery system deployment, including apogee detects and ejection system
- System for locating the rocket once on the ground.
- Any other payload (e.g cameras, experimental instrumeents)
- Project Lead: Steve Daniel
- All tubes, nose cone, fins, couplers.
- Motor mount and positive retention
- Includes rail buttons and hard attach points to the airframe
- Project Lead: Evan Daniel
- Engine design, development and testing
- Fuel, ignition.
- Fill, vent, and dump.
- Inludes all on-board plumbing, quick-disconnects, etc.
- Project lead: TBD
- Nitrous tankage
- Nitrous chill
- Fill and dump valves and controls
- Ignition control
- Project Lead: TBD
- Nitrous supply, both NC and NV
- Transportation, lodging.
- Ground based GPS, communications
- All launch paperwork (TAP, Tripoli, as required)
Major Schedule Milestones
||Final logistics; refinement based on test results
||Supersonic Test Launch (MDRA's Red Glare)
||Finish recovery system, test launches
||GSE build-out and test
||Construct major airframe components
||Engine test stand and instrumentation
||Small scale tests, fuel characterization
||completely design and build an L3 rocket
||finalize high-level design
High level budget:
||$600, includes on-board plumbing, quick disconnects
||$300, includes CF, expoxy, phenolic tubes, finishing supplies
||$700, includes ground station
||$100, includes chutes, hardware, shock cord
||$600, includes ground tanks, valves, control boxes
||$200, nitrous and fuel during testing cycles
||$500, anything I've not thought of; cost overruns
High level design:
- 48" x 4" Loki casing, modified as a hybrid.
- Fueled by PBAN w/ carbon black and possible aluminum loading
- Chilled nitrous (400 PSI tank pressure)
- Estimating an M-1000 with approximately 9000 N-S total impulse
- 280 lbs initial thrust
- 26 lbs total mass, including fuel, nitrous, flight plumbing
- 9' x 4" carbon fibre over phenolic.
- Nose cone will be carbon/glass composite; custom-built
- Fins will be carbon over glass
- Finish needs to be smooth as glass. Motor section must be white.
- 6 lbs (??) exclusive of hardware
- Custom. Onboard GPS with gound-link for recovery.
- Altimeter-base apogee detect.
- Timer back-up apogee detect.
- 2 lbs
- Apogee: pair of aerocon 12" artillery chutes? Streamer?
- Main: pair of aerocon 60" artillery chutes? Bigger? 3 of them?
- misc hardware, including shock cord, eye bolts, etc
- 4 lbs
- 30 lb tank, nitrous chill system.
- continuous duty valves
- solid-state valve controller, cat5 control link to LCO
Mass Ratio (Wet to Dry): 38 / 27.5 = 1.4
- approximately 10 minutes fueling time
- 8 second burn
- 25 second coast to apogee
- apogee at 20,000 feet
- 2 minute descent